Business Magic: The Tricks of the Manager and the Marketer
Business magic is bout the commonalities between magic tricks and managing a business. This relationship can be viewed from two sides: the magic tricks of business and the business of magic tricks.
How do the principles of the psychology of magic apply to the workplace and in marketing? Many management gurus promise people to give them magical powers. There are several interface points between magic tricks and everyday business problems. I wrote some short reflections on this topic for the Lucid Manager website:
- Five points of public speaking—What can business presenters learn from magician using Tamariz’s Five Points in Magic?
- Trademarking Magic—Why are so many products branded with the word magic?
- The Manager and the Magician—A manager is just like a magician: constructing a reality by using management tools as a magic wand.
- The Myth of Multitasking—Multitasking is a popular buzzword among managers. Magicians and cognitive scientists know that multitasking is a myth.
- The Magic of Marketing—What do marketing and magic have in common?
- Misdirection in Presentations—How to use misdirection to improve business presentations.
- Predicting Behaviour in Recruitment—Using a magic trick, Teller illustrates how past behaviour is not a good predictor of future conduct.
- Generation Y Does not Exist—A children’s magician’s view of why there is no difference between the generations.
These thoughts are all expressed through the Half Hour MBA; a satirical magic show a magic show about business.
The Business of Magic Tricks
Business magic does not only apply to organisations but also magicians. Most performers are independent entrepreneurs that spend a lot of time on marketing and selling. Magic is show business, which is both an art and a way to make a living.
Magicians have three types of customers: their audiences, the people that pay their fees and other magicians.
My current interest is developing a theoretical model for measuring the quality of a magic show.