there’s another dimension of depth in this book. It’s the type of depth you may get from poetry, inspirational writings and Zen koansWhen watching a magician the question that is most pressing on people’s minds is how did he do it? This is not the only question that you can ask about theatrical magic.
Psychologists might wonder why magicians can deceive people. Occupational therapists use magic tricks to help people with physical disabilities. Sociologists ask what it is like to be a magician.
This book explores the questions that scholars from different fields of science have enquired about the performances of magicians.
For magicians, this book provides new perspectives on their performance art. For people with only a passive interest in magic, this book gives an insight into a quaint performance art, surrounded by secrecy and clichés.Perspectives on Magic discusses the following questions:
- Introduction: How can we define theatrical magic?
- The Science of Magic: How does magic relate to science?
- The Art of Magic: Is magic a performance art?
- Magic Networks: What is it like to be a magician?
- The History of Magic: What role did magicians play in history?
- The Power of Magic: What is the practical use of conjuring?
- The Magic of Teaching: What can we learn from magic tricks?
- The Deception of Magic: How can a magician deceive us?
- The Future of Magic: Will magic eventually become obsolete?
- Epilogue: What is the science of magic?
Perspectives on Magic Reviews
George Parker in Dutch magazine Informagie
“The book can be compared to a museum guide. Prevos guides the reader pleasantly through many aspects of theatrical magic … The extensive bibliography alone is worth the purchase … the book is a great starting point, but also provides advanced students with a starting point for further study.”
Dr Todd Landman
“I like the bibliography. I have read some of these, but you highlight so many other great resources. Many thanks! Dr Todd.”
Frits Alkemade, Amsterdam
Tom Stevens, Melbourne
“Good book! Concisely written. Very important concepts for magicians are covered in this book. I’d recommend this to any magician.”
Bryce Kuhlman, My Lovely Assistant
“there’s another dimension of depth in this book. It’s the type of depth you may get from poetry, inspirational writings and Zen koans.”