The Jastrow illusion is known to magicians as the boomerang illusion. Two boomerang-shaped ring segments seem to be of different sizes but are in fact identical.
Magicians tend to underestimate the power of the Jastrow illusion magic trick. Its use in magic is limited to children’s entertainers and magic kits. This illusion is more powerful than it seems at first sight. A recent viral video shows that its deceptive power is as strong as it was when first discovered almost 150 years ago.
The Jastrow Illusion in Magic ebook provides an in-depth review of the psychology of this illusion and a detailed overview of its use by magicians. You will learn about its origin and how psychologists use it in tests and experiments. The last part of the book shows you how to develop your own magic routine with this quirky prop. Click on the image to view a free sample of the ebook.
“I learned quite a bit that was new and valuable to me”—Robert Neale.
“If you are interested in the Jastrow Illusion, you’re in for a treat”—Bill Trotter.
Boomerang Illusion Performances
Jastrow Illusion Magic Trick Versions
- Adair, Ian (n.d.). Monkey Puzzle, Funtime Innovations.
- Adair, Ian (n.d.). Fishy Tale, Funtime Innovations.
- Adair, Ian (2006). Butterfly Puzzle, Funtime Innovations.
- Anonymous (n.d.). Donkey-Monkey Competition, Funtime Innovations.
- Anonymous (ca. 1978). Baffl’n Boomerangs Viking Magic.
- Anonymous (2009). Baffling Boomerangs. Magic Makers.
- Foster, Mark and Wood, Daniel (2015). World Famous Boomerang Illusion. Mission Magic.
- Franke, Harry G. (n.y.). Fish Tales. Daytona Magic.
- Leach, Chuck (2006). Boomerang Cards Across. Chazpro Magic.
- Mizoguchi, Arch Illusion, SEO Magic.
- Murray, George and Jorgenson, Tom (1990). Magic Color Changing Boomerangs. Nielsen Magic.
- Rogers, Terri (2000). Top of the Bill. A Close-Up Illusion. Martin Breese International.
- Suzuki Toru, (2000) Sakkaku Scale. Tenyo.
Jastrow Illusion / Boomerang Illusion Bibliography
Overview of both scholarly and magic publications on the Jastrow illusion.